The Macpherson Family Collection of Newfoundlandiana was donated by friend of Mount Allison Mr. Cluny Macpherson, his wife Dawne (MTA ’85) and their two daughters Stephane Macpherson Léger (MTA ’91) and Suzanne Macpherson (MTA ’89) in memory of Dr. Cluny Macpherson, the Honourable Harold Macpherson, and the Honourable Campbell Macpherson.
The Collection contains over 400 books, pamphlets and scrapbooks on the history, politics, economics, and society of Newfoundland from as early as the 1620s to the late 1960s. Accessible through the online catalogue, Macpherson Collection materials may be consulted within the library.
The distinguished medical career of Lieutenant-Colonel Dr. Cluny Macpherson (1879-1966) took him from Dr. Wilfred Grenfell’s Mission in Battle Harbour, Labrador, to private practice in St. John’s, to First World War service overseas with the Newfoundland Regiment, where his invention of the gas mask was a vital contribution to the Allied war effort. Following his return to Newfoundland, Dr. Macpherson took on leading roles in the provincial, national, and international medical profession.
The Honourable Harold Macpherson (1884-1963) was a prominent Newfoundland businessman and director of many Canadian corporations. He was a member of the Legislative Council (Upper House) of Newfoundland from 1930-1934, and served on Mount Allison’s Board of Regents. Mr. Macpherson was a noted dog breeder, becoming one of the world’s best authorities on the Newfoundland breed and credited with saving it from extinction. In recognition of his varied and extensive contributions and achievements, he received an honorary degree from Mount Allison in 1955.
The Honourable Campbell Macpherson (1907-1973) joined his St. John’s family business, The Royal Stores, in 1925, becoming its president in 1963 upon the death of his uncle, Harold Macpherson. He was awarded the Order of the British Empire “for services as Civil Aide de Camp to Governors of Newfoundland”  in 1949, and served as Newfoundland’s Lieutenant-Governor from 1957-1963. Mr. Macpherson also served on Mount Allison’s Board of Regents, and received an honorary degree in 1962.