Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Zotero for Firefox or Zotero Standalone?
Choose Zotero for Firefox if:
- You mostly use the Firefox browser
- You prefer to have Zotero open inside your browser instead of a separate window
Zotero for Firefox runs as a plugin for the Firefox web browser, not as a separate program.
The same version of Zotero for Firefox works on any computer that runs Firefox; there are no separate Windows and Mac versions.
Choose Zotero Standalone if:
- You use Google Chrome or Safari as your browser
- You often use multiple browsers
- You prefer to have Zotero open as a separate program outside your browser
There are different versions of the Zotero Standalone client if you are using Windows, Mac, or Linux and you will need to install the right browser extension for each browser you use.
Zotero for Firefox
- Go to the Zotero Download page.
- Click the Zotero for Firefox link.
- When you see the message "Firefox prevented this site from asking you to install software on your computer," click Allow.
- Click Install Now, and Zotero will download and install. You can either restart Firefox now, or wait until you have installed the word processor toolbar (Step 2).
Installing the Zotero Standalone client requires downloading and install a program for your operating system (Windows or Mac) and then installing browser extensions or add-ons to allow the client to talk to the browser.
- Visit zotero.org/download and select Zotero 4.0 for Windows or Zotero 4.0 for Mac depending on your operating system.
- Save the file to your computer.
- Next download the extension for Firefox, Chrome, or Safari by clicking on its icon under Zotero 4.0 for Windows or Zotero 4.0 for Mac
- Allow the Extension or Add-on to install.