Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Consumer Analysis Links
- 2011 Census - Statistics Canada
- Selected variables available as they are released. Click on "Geography", then "GeoSearch" for population and dwelling counts even for the smallest communities. Select "By Topic" to see what variables are available. "Census Profile" provides the available data for all levels of geography. More detailed tables are available for the 2006 Census.
- 2011 National Household Survey - Statistics Canada
- The NHS replaced the detailed Census in 2011. Information is scheduled to be released in 2013.
Community Information Database
- This site, by the Government of Canada Rural Secretariat, is an easy-to use compilation of data from the 1996, 2001, 2006 & 2011 Censuses. Searching by community brings up tables showing the changes over time. Variables include population, education levels, income, employment, age, gender, dwellings, etc.
- FP Markets -- Canadian Demographics by Financial Post. (HF 3223 S9 in Library, last issue: 2012 in Reference)
- This annual publication contains demographic information from Statistics Canada and other sources including market segments, media, housing, and retail sales statistics, etc. for the provinces, economic regions, cities, towns, and census divisions.
- Income Statistics, Canada Revenue Agency
- Based on income tax returns, these tables show Canadians' sources of income, deductions, donations, tax credits and tax paid, by age, sex, income group, and province.
- Canada Post Business & Residential Counts and Maps
- The "Market Your Business" section of the Canada Post web site includes this tool providing the number of households (houses, apartments and farms) and businesses by the first 3 digits of the postal code, and a mapping feature to see the extent of the area covered. Useful for direct marketing and targetting local markets.
- Spending Patterns in Canada
- This Statistics Canada publication has key tables and highlights from the Survey of Household Spending, showing how much Canadians spend on food, shelter, recreation, gifts, pet and child care, etc. Related, more specific StatsCan publications are also listed. Last publication: 2009. Continued by CANSIM tables 203-0021 to 203-0028.
- Statistics Canada web site
- Search the web site to find the latest statistics available. Search by keyword or browse by subject.
Statistics Canada's largest database of economic, demographic, and social statistics containing over one million time series of data on topics including consumption, sales, occupations, educational attainment, etc.
Coverage: Historical and current (dates vary). Searchable by keyword or browse by subject.
- Market Information, Agri-Food Trade Service, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
- Has hundreds of market reports for food and beverage products in Canada and other countries listed by product and region.
- Trends Reports, Canada Media Fund
- twice yearly reports on media usage in Canada.
Consumer Opinions and Attitudes
- BBM Canada
- The Bureau of Broadcast Measurement site provides highlights of selected consumer surveys , the top 30 TV programs each week, and radio market rankings. Select "Top Line Data".
- COMPAS Public Opinion and Customer Research
- Provides key findings of its Canadian public opinion research on elections, policy, consumers & lifestyle, business and the economy.
- EKOS Research Associates Media Center
- Provides press releases of its Canadian public opinion polls and the full text of selected studies. Archives of press releases are searchable from 1996 - 2006.
- Ipsos Canada Polls
- Highlights of press releases of publicly released Ipsos poll results are available here. For the full press release, search a Canadian newspaper database, such as Canadian Newsstand.)
- Nielsen Canada
- Select "Insights" for reports and highlights of Canadian market research data and survey results. Press releases archived from 2012 on.