Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Other Marketing-Related Information Links
Articles from Journals, Trade Magazines and Newspapers - Articles can be an excellent source of information on companies, their marketing strategies, products, industry and economic analysis and related issues. They may be the only source of information about privately-held companies. Use journal databases to search for articles from many journals at once.
- Commerce Subject Page/ Finding Articles, Library Web Site
- Access to the major business-related databases available at Mount Allison, such as CBCA and ABI/INFORM, in ProQuest (All), which cover thousands of trade, professional, popular press and academic journals and magazines, newspapers and other sources.
Small Business Management
- Canada Business Network: Government Services for Entrepreneurs
- This site has lots of useful information for small business: guides on how to write a business plan, a marketing plan, managing, finding government funding, getting permits and licences, etc. Links to the local New Brunswick Business Service Centre for more local information.
- Atlantic Opportunities Agency (ACOA)
- Provides a lot of information for entrepreneurs: "Business Tools" includes guides to preparing a business plan and marketing plan, innovation quiz, new product development checklist, SWOT analysis, and worksheet. Publications include many useful factsheets and research studies on business and the economy in the Atlantic region.
- Business Plans Handbook (In library: HD 62.7 B865 Reference; online version available via NBPLS)
- This multi-volume set is a compilation of actual business plans from a variety of types of business.
- The Complete Canadian Small Business Guide (In library: HD 62.7 G83 Reference)
- An excellent reference for all aspects of starting and operating a small business. Includes a master checklist for start-up planning and other sample forms and checklists.
- Business Tools & Resources, by Industry Canada
- Brings together some of the government resources for small business, like BizPaL, SME Benchmarking Tool, and small business research.
- SME Research & Statistics, by Industry Canada
- Links to publications: "Key Small Business Statistics" and "Venture Capital Monitor", and to several statistical tables and reports on small and medium-sized businesses.
- Canadian Trade Commissioner Service
- See "Knowledge Centre" and "Country Info" for tips on exporting, market reports by country/region or industry sector, tariffs, trade statistics, global value chains, etc.
- Export & Trade, New Brunswick Economic Development
- Information includes guides to exporting, transportation details like distance charts, financing, planning, calculators, etc.
- Trade Data Online
- Provides Canadian and U.S. trade data for up to 5 years and with over 200 countries. Online forms allow you to choose the top 25 products and industries by province and by country.
- About Exporting , by Export Development Canada
- This section of the EDC web site has a large collection of useful links to resources for exporting. Includes how to write a business and exporting plan, international market and industry research and analysis, international statistics, legal information, etc.
- Trade Negotiations & Agreements, by International Trade Canada
- Links to the major current agreements and disputes involving Canada and other trade policy issues.
- This Michigan State University site includes thousands of links to global trade and business information.
- Canadian Advertising Rates & Data (CARD) (In Library: HF 5805 C3 C36 Reference. Cancelled. Last issue: Fall 2010)
- Gives circulation figures and costs to advertise on radio, in magazines and newspapers.
- Media Digest
- This large annual report by the Canadian Media Directors' Council has consumer data and trends, advertising spending by media, circulation and viewership statistics, and other related information.
- Newspapers Canada
- By the Canadian Newspaper Association and Canadian Community Newspaper Association, this site provides circulation data for Canadian papers. Some of the more indepth reports for members only.
- National List of Advertisers (In Library: HF 5808 .C3 N38 Reference. Cancelled. Last issue: 2009)
- Directory of Canadian national advertisers, showing advertising budget and media used. Also lists advertising agencies and direct marketing advertising services.
- Advertising Standards Canada
- This not-for-profit organization provides information on advertising codes and guidelines.
- Before E-Commerce: A History of Canadian Mail-Order Catalogues
- A Canadian Museum of Civilization Virtual Museum of Canada site created with the Library and Archives Canada, TorontoCulture and the Canadian Postal Museum, the site includes a keyword searchable database of digitized mail order catalogues (Eaton's, Simpson's, Hudson's Bay, etc.) from the 1880's to the 1970's. There are also company histories, and details on the history of the mail-order business in Canada.
- Strategy (Formerly Marketing Magazine). Magazine site also has lots of information on Canadian advertising, marketing and media, annual advertising awards, and research reports.
- Canadian Marketing Association
- The CMA promotes ethical marketing practices with its Code of Ethics, standards of practice and guidelines such as the telephone, and Internet Marketing Guidelines. Select "Regulatory Affairs".
- Electronic Commerce Branch, Industry Canada
- The web site of the Task Force on Electronic Commerce posts studies on e-commerce in Canada, facts and statistics, case studies and more.
- Digital Commerce 360
- Research organization that publishes reports and news articles on e-retailing and B2B ecommerce. (Some content requires registration.)
- Gale E-Commerce Sourcebook (In library: HF 5548.32 G347 2003 Reference)
- "How To" essays on top 100 questions relating to e-commerce, e.g. how to write a marketing plan, secure financing, etc., and profiles with financials from the top 250 e-commerce companies worldwide.
- Gale Encyclopedia of E-Commerce (In library: HF 5548.32 G35 2002 Reference)
- Has over 470 brief essays on the major topics, terms, companies, people, events and legislation relevant to e-commerce.
General Marketing Sites