Printed maps and atlases produced by the Canadian government include hydrographic charts, topographic maps, geological and soil survey maps, census and electoral boundary maps, etc. Not all are listed here. Some maps accompanying publications can be found using the online library catalogue. Others, like the topographic maps have their own index in the map cabinets. R.P. Bell Library, Basement. For assistance ask at the Research Help Desk.
Major digital map and geospatial data sets:
Provides access to many of the Government of Canada's online maps and geospatial tools.
By Natural Resources Canada, this online version of the Atlas allows you to create and print customized maps. The “Reference Maps” page lists provincial, national and international maps suitable for printing (in .jpeg or .pdf formats). Includes base and relief maps, maps showing lakes and rivers, location of cities, political boundaries, historical Indian treaties, drainage, federal elections, parks, time zones, etc. Also links to Toporama with access to topographic maps.
Canada Land Inventory
These maps by the former Dept. of Regional and Economic Expansion and Dept. of Environment show land capability for agriculture, forestry, wildlife, and outdoor recreation for the years 1965-1978. Print: CA1 FR84... Government Documents Stacks, R.P. Bell Library. Digital: See GeoGratis.
- Canadian Geographical Names
An interactive web site that shows the location of current, officially approved placenames by province and local administrative boundaries and geographic coordinates. Names include land, water and undersea features, cities, towns, etc. See also Geobase.
Gazetteer of Canada Series
Print gazetteers for each province, the Concise Gazetteer of Canada, and the Gazetteer of Undersea Feature Names. Use to find the exact coordinates of geographical features, towns and cities.
Print: R. P. Bell Library, Government Publications. Digital: See Canadian Geographical Names.
A joint federal, provincial and territorial site overseen by the Canadian Council on Geomatics to provide free access to quality Canadian geospatial data and web mapping service. Registration is required. Datasets include:
- includes aboriginal lands, Canadian Geopolitical Boundaries including international and provincial/territorial boundaries and economic zones, municipal boundaries and federal electoral districts.
Canadian Digital Elevation Data
- ground elevations at regularly spaced intervals from 1:50,000 and 1:250,000 NTDB and provincial sources
Canadian Geodetic Network
- horizontal and vertical geodetic control information (geographic and UTM coordinates, etc.), for thousands of points across Canada.
Canadian Geographical Names, (CGN)
- a subset of the Canadian Geographical Names Database, shows the location of current, officially approved placenames by province and local administrative boundaries and geographic coordinates. Names include land, water and undersea features, cities, towns, etc.
- available in GML and ESRI shape files; free viewers provided
- circa 2000.
National Hydro Network (NHN)
- provides geospatial data describing Canada's inland surface waters
National Power Line Network and National Railway Network in progress.
National Road Network (NRN)
- Level 1 NRN (NRNC1) is the representation of a continuous centerline for all non-restricted use roads in Canada.
- includes Geobase, Landsat and Radarsat orthoimages with the least amount of distortion (geometrically corrected) and the control points used in orthorectification.
For additional information on the GeoBase Portal and NRCan data see NRCan's Earth Sciences site.
GeoConnections Discovery Portal
Gateway and finding aid to millions of Canadian geospatial data products which can be searched together by subject, coverage, or format. Includes satellite imagery and aerial photography, datasets, raster data, vector data, and web map services.
Provides Canadian geospatial data free online: Landsat and RADARSAT images, atlas vectors, earth observation data and vector/tabular data including federal electoral boundaries, Census data, Canadian and North American Conservation Areas databases, Canadian Digital Elevation Data (CDED), National Topographic Database (NTDB) at 1:50,000 and 1:250,000 CanImage, 1:50,000 & 1:250,000 vector data (with natural and cultural features) for all of Canada (includes 13 themes: hydrography, elevation, road network, etc.) and the Canada Land Inventory (CLI) with over 1,000 mapsheets at 1:250,000 showing land use and land capability for agriculture, forestry, recreation, wildlife, and outdoor recreation.
- Geological Survey of Canada
Maps and series of publications with maps show surficial materials, etc. Print copies in R.P.Bell Library, Government Documents: CA1 MS29 ... Digital files available free for Mount Allison staff, students and faculty upon request via Natural Resources Canada/DSP Agreement (e.g. “A” Series and Open File Maps). Contact: Brian McNally (email@example.com) 364-2237.
Finding Aid: Search for these and other GSC maps on the GEOSCAN Database the NRCan Earth Sciences Sector database of maps and publications.
This site combines high-resolution aerial photos of the entire province of New Brunswick, property boundaries, property assessment and civic address information, Dept. of Transportation road network data, geographic elevations, weather data, streams and hydrographic detail with distance measurement, search capabilities, map viewer, and the ability to print custom maps. Content includes the New Brunswick Atlas in 94 pdf files, themes: Crown land, electoral boundaries, planning commissions, military bases, First Nations lands, LSDs, wetlands, etc. More content added regularly. (See also New Brunswick Dept. of Natural Resources and Service New Brunswick Digital Spatial Data Products below.)
- Natural Resources Canada
NRCan digital topographic data available through the GeoGratis web site. National Topographic Databasemap index and maps also available online at Toporama.Print copies of topographical maps in R.P.Bell Library map cabinets.
- New Brunswick Department of Natural Resources
Mount Allison University receives DNR geospatial files under agreement with DNR for use in teaching and academic research only. Layers available include:
- Buffer coverages from 2002 Management Plans for Crown lands;
- Deer wintering areas (DWA) landbase for Crown land as finalized for the 2002 Crown Management Plans for Crown Timber Licences;
- Ecosite coverages (shows ecological classification including ecoregion, ecodistrict, ecosection and ecosite classifications);
- Forest Development Survey (complete coverage of the province except for restricted land ownership);
- Holder coverages (holder information as found in forest layer (NOTE: Does not match SNB info.);
- Line coverages (single line features including roads, streams, transmission lines and railways, as determined through the DNR interpretation process);
- Old Spruce-Fir Habitat (OSFH) blocks for Crown lands;
- Soils and drainage classes for NB.
Support files available at: http://www.lib.unb.ca/gddm/maps/DNR
For access, Mount Allison students, faculty and staff please contact Ruth Collings: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Service New Brunswick Digital Spatial Data Products
Mount Allison University receives the following SNB geospatial data files under agreement with SNB for use in teaching and academic research only:
Digital Topographic Database (DTDB)
- shows natural and cultural features; includes Digital Terrain Model (DTM) showing elevations in the province;and Enhanced Topographic Base (ETB)
- support files available: CARIS, Autocad, map index and user’s guide
- Digital Property Database (‘snapshot’ version)
-property mapping data; includes property map files, parcel index files, and assessment files
NOTE: To access the current, dynamically updated version contact SNB directly
- Landsat Imagery of NB (from federal government)>
- NB GeoCalc>
- NB Grid shift files
- Softcopy Orthophoto Database (SODB)
- colour photomap series in compressed format
- support files available: CARIS, user’s guide, MrSID viewer free to download
- Survey Monuments CD
- listing, location and sketches for existing survey monuments in NB
Support files available at: <http://www.lib.unb.ca/gddm/maps/SNB/support_files_general.html> For access, Mount Allison students, faculty and staff only, please contact Ruth Collings: email@example.com
- Statistics Canada
Access to selected maps, data, reference material and related information based on Census geography is through the Census Geography page. Content and formats vary by Census year.
DLI (Data Liberation Initiative). Geography files in ArcInfo and MapInfo formats are available from Census years 1981 to the latest. These include cartographic boundary files, road network files, and skeletal road network files. Level of geography and coverage available varies by Census year. Public use microdata files for major Statistics Canada surveys with a geospatial component are also available. For access to these files: Mount Allison students, faculty and staff only, please contact: Elizabeth Stregger firstname.lastname@example.org. More information on the DLI.
This Natural Resources Canada site provides easy access to topographic maps of Canada which show ground relief, lakes and rivers, forest cover, administrative areas, populated areas, roads and railways and other features. Atlas of Canada maps include 1:1,000,000 to 1:30,000,000 NTDB: 1:250,000 and CanVec 1:50,000.
See also "Special & Historical Collections