Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Recommended Websites for Commerce
The following pages include selected online sources recommended for research and assignments in Commerce:
Recommended Websites -- Finance & Investment
- Globe Investor
Canadian and U.S. stock quotes, company financial data and financial news on thousands of North American companies.
- Globe Investor Funds
Major site for Canadian mutual funds. Provides daily and historical statistics, background information on funds and fund companies and more.
- SEDAR (Canadian stock exchange filings)
- EDGAR (U.S. stock exchange filings)
Databases of public company and mutual fund filings from 1997 to present.
- System for Electronic Disclosure by Insiders (SEDI)
Provides access to information on insider trading (ie. shares bought and sold by company insiders, e.g. directors, officers and major shareholders, acting on non-public information). Provides name of insder, number of shares bought or sold, the reason for the transaction, and per share price. Can be useful information for investors.
- Fair Disclosure Wire (Quarterly Earnings Reports) provides transcripts of conference calls, where investor questions are answered. Select the Business Source Complete or ProQuest Central database from the A-Z List of Databases. Search by publication title: "Fair Disclosure Wire" and the company name.
- Social Investment Organization: The Canadian Association for Socially Responsible Investment
Provides guidelines for ethical investing, information on SRI mutual funds, links to other related resources.
- SHARE: Shareholder Association for Research & Education
This Vancouver-based organization has a searchable database of shareholder proposals filed with Canadian companies and their outcome. It also publishes research and reports on responsible investing.
- Other Stock / Investor sites for investment analysis: See Course related guides: Comm 4501: Investments and Portfolio Management.
- For Canadian company and industry data: See Corporate Analysis and Competitive Analysis sections of Marketing Hits: Canadian Resources for Marketing Research.
- Montreal Stock Exchange
- Toronto Stock Exchange
- Other Stock Exchanges
- Bank of Canada
Includes many research publications, financial rates and statistics, etc.
- Other Central Banks. By BIS. (Bank for International Settlements)
This site links to central banks around the world and to research publications and statistics by central banks and international financial institutions.
- Canadian Bankers Association
Has information on the banking industry in Canada, including a list of banks operating in Canada, bank rankings, credit card, tax, mortgage and ABM statistics and links to more financial and investment information.
- Department of Finance, Canada
Lots of information available on Canada's financial institutions and markets, taxes, tariffs, budgets, federal public finances, and fiscal indicators including provincial and international.
- Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions Canada.
Has financial data and more on Canadian banks, foreign bank branches in Canada, trust and loan companies, credit unions, and insurance companies. Links to other financial regulators and related sites.
- Global Financial Stability Report. By IMF.
A semi-annual report assessing developing issues in global financial markets.
- Investopedia.com: Investment Education for Everyone
Includes a limited dictionary of investing terms, tutorials and games to learn about investing and financial concepts, a simulator to test investment strategies, etc.
- InvestorWords.com. By Web Finance Inc.
A U.S. financial glossary of over 7,500 terms. You can enter a word to search or browse subject-specific glossaries.