Location: Main Street, present-day building that housed the former fire station by the public library
Size: 90 feet long, three storeys tall, 45 feet ell
Known affectionately as "The Barn," Brunswick House was built by William MacDonald 1855-56 and operated as a temperance hotel. It was rebuilt in September 1883 following a fire that destroyed the previous structure. The new building was designed by R.C. Boxall, who had remained in the area after working on the construction of the Intercolonial Railway. The builder was John Francis Teed of Dorchester, New Brunswick. The new building was ninety feet in length, three storeys high with a mansard roof and a forty-five foot long ell in the rear. It contained thirty guest rooms along with parlors, sitting and smoking rooms, and a dining room. The hotel was operated by the following: Estabrooks family (1883-1907); Alfred Lesperance (1907-1922); Patrick J. and Louisa Murphy (1922-1941).
In August 1920 the university made the decision to rent the Ford Hotel for a 3 year period to be used as university women's residence. By 1925 the number of university women had outgrown the Ford Hotel, which held only 45 students. Although efforts were made to house the university women on campus, it was found impossible, and in the summer of 1925 the university rented the Brunswick House. It held 68 students and was renamed "Allison Hall" (also referred to as Old Allison Hall) to be used only until a new residence was built.
After the 1933 Academy fire, the university women moved back to the White House to allow the Brunswick House to be used as a residence for Academy students. With the increase of student enrollment, the male residence could no longer hold the students.
The university purchased Brunswick House from Mrs. Patrick Murphy for $17,000 in December 1941, after the Second University Men's Residence was destroyed by fire. The hotel was used to house 70 of the 225 men who were displaced by the fire. Others roomed in town homes, but all received meals at Brunswick House. In addition, there were several university students boarding at the Academy and Allison Lodge.
It continued to be used as a student residence until 1958. The property was purchased via a 99 year lease by the Town of Sackville in 1962 to make way for a new fire hall.